Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Baltimore Drive-by, Part XIII

"So then I lost my job."

"No offense, especially with that .38 in your hand, but you probably deserved it. You made the man look bad in front of the president of the United States."

"He wasn't elected yet. Besides, that was just an excuse. I really got fired because people got tired of listening to me complain. `You gotta stop grousing, Nix.' `Things are bad for everybody, Nix.' `That isn't productive, Nix.' `Be happy you have a job at all.'"

"You answered you own question, mate. Why didn't you just shut the hell up, or get out?"

I didn't know what to say. I'd never asked myself that question.

I put the gun down. "OK, Mr. Career Counsellor, who do we shoot?"

(Read all of "The Baltimore Drive-by" so far here.)

© Peter Rozovsky 2009

No comments: